Pedas – I just had shop bought ones till date, and had never ventured into making one. I was reading Sai Satcharitam – the book about life and teachings of Sai Baba. In that book, I got to know that baba likes this peda made of milk, which gave me the idea of trying my hands on this. So, today being a Thursday – Baba’s day – I decided to make it.
It is a very simple recipe – it just uses milk powder and condensed milk. No khoya, sugar etc and the peda is ready in just a few minutes. Hope you will love this recipe. Offer it as naivedyam or bhog to god or just make as a sweet to munch on. It’s perfect!
Do share in your comments as your comments will help me in making the blog better.
Yield: 15 – 20 pedas
Milk Powder: 2 cups
Condensed milk: 1 can (400 g OR 300 ml)
Ghee 6-8 teaspoons
Nuts: Cashew nuts ( you can use any nuts like almond, pistachio or Raisins)
[ if you are using cashews like me, roast lightly in ghee and set aside].
Cardamom powder (optional)
1. Melt the ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel.
2. Add the condensed milk and milk powder and mix well. Cook on low to medium flame, stirring constantly, till it becomes a thick paste, and mix it till it becomes difficult to move the ladle around.
3. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
4. Turn off heat and allow cooling till you can handle the mixture with your hand. Knead the dough well using hands.
5. Lightly grease your fingers and palm, shape the mixture into small balls and flatten them slightly.
6. You can decorate the doodh pedas with any nuts of your choice. I did mine with roasted cashews.
Store the pedas in an air-tight container and place in the fridge. Remove the pedas from the fridge an hour before serving.
Offer as naivedyam to god and serve to all. Indulge and enjoy!
You can have different flavored pedas. Substitute cardamom powder with a small pinch of saffron. Crush saffron and mix with 2-3 tea-spoons milk, add to the peda mixture while it is cooking and mix.
Alternately, you can add 2 tablespoons powdered pistachios to the peda mixture while it is cooking.