February is the month of love – and a round shaped cake signifies it as love goes round and round. So this month, I tried making Eggless Chocolate cake.
I have baked cakes in pressure cooker quite a few times. And now after trying the Pillsbury cooker cake mix where we steam the cake mix, I got an idea to try our normal cake recipe with this steaming method. My earlier method of using pressure cooker is not recommended for every-time use as it hampers the life of the pressure cooker. So, I decided to look for a compromise. Since as of now, I don’t have a convection or a combination oven, pressure cooker was the only solution.
Whichever way, a cake is a cake and it tastes just the same – fabulous!! And the cake gets over in no time.
Without further ado, let me take you to this lip smacking chocolate cake recipe. Tried icing here with this eggless cake to make this special cake (after taking out 1 piece as my son was not ready to wait for icing to get done)!
2 cups Maida (all-purpose flour)
1 + 3/4 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1.5 teaspoon baking soda
0.5 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1. Grease the base of the cake dish with little oil and dust either with Maida or sugar till well coated.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder and transfer into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the salt, sugar, oil, vanilla essence and water. Beat the mixture using a wooden spoon or a beater till well blended.
4. Add the milk to the cake batter and beat till smooth. The batter looks almost glossy when done.
5. Pour the batter into the dish and keep the dish above an inverted cup in the cooker filled with 3-4 glasses of water. Steam it in a pressure cooker for 40-60 minutes.
6. Keep checking in between by inserting a knife into the centre. Once it comes out clean, it means your cake is done.
7. Let this stand for five minutes then take cake out of the tin. Slice it and enjoy as it is or do the icing as shared here and then enjoy.
For icing the cake –
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3-4 tablespoon milk
1 packet gems for decoration (optional)
Mix everything (except Gems) till you have a thick glazed texture.
Once ready, pour over the cake and spread it using spatula. Decorate it with gems on the top.
Serve as your eggless chocolate cake is ready to enjoy. Serve hot or chilled. It’s just yummy!!
Wish to get your comments to help me write and cook better. Will get back soon with another interesting recipe. Happy cooking!