Leftover idli – This is rare as my husband loves idli. But when it does happen, what you do with leftover idli? I have seen people transforming it into idli upma. But I don’t fancy upma (just like idli). So, this make-over is chili idli, which I love because of its colourful appearance and tangy taste. It is a very simple recipe and the ingredients are available across the year in every pantry.
So, what are we waiting for – Let’s cook chili idli which can be a great starter or can be enjoyed as a meal in itself. Without further ado let’s get to the recipe.
1 onion sliced lengthwise
2 small tomatoes sliced lengthwise
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
2 teaspoon soya sauce
2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
1. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds for tempering
2. Add sliced onions and fry till they change colour
3. Add sliced tomatoes. Stir till oil gets to sides.
4. Now add all the sauces, and pastes. And stir it evenly.
5. Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder. Adjust salt to taste.
6. At the end, add the chopped idli pieces and mix evenly such that idli pieces get coated with the mixture evenly.
7. Once done, switch off the gas. Serve it in a plate and add chopped coriander leaves to garnish.
Your chili idli as a starter or as a meal is ready!! Enjoy.
Wish to get your comments to help me write n cook better. Will get back soon with another interesting recipe. Happy cooking!