Choley are the white kabuli chana. Since it is mostly consumed in Punjab, it’s recipes were started being called as Punjabi choley or Amritsari choley ( named after the city Amritsar). This goes well with puri, kulcha, naan, roti and it’s quiet a filling meal. Without further ado, let’s get to the recipe such that you all can try this filling meal from the comforts of your kitchen.
Punjabi Choley recipe
Serving Size – For 5 – 6 adults
500 GM kabuli chana soaked overnight in water with little salt.
2 green chilies chopped
4-5 onions finely chopped
1 tomatoes finely chopped
1 can tomato puree
3 tea bags to give that brown color to choley( you can even use amla in place of tea bag)
4 garlic cloves peeled
1 TSP ginger garlic paste
1 TSP cumin to temper
1 TSP turmeric powder
2-3 bay leaves
5 tbsp Everest choley masala
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
1. Drain that soaked water as it may have white foam formation on top, rinse it again and fill it with water to the level covering the choley.
2. Then, pressure cook that kabuli chana with water in cooker with 4-5 garlic cloves in it. ( You can omit garlic part if you want as its optional)
Add 2-3 tea bag to the choley before pressure cooking. It gives us the rich brown texture. Add little salt and pressure cook it for around 5 whistles.
3. Keep the pressure cooked choley aside. Let the pressure escapes, and then open the lid. Discard the tea bag and keep the cooked choley ready to be used later.
4. In a deep dish pan, add butter and oil. To this, temper cumin seeds and bay leaves. Add chillies and finely chopped onions till it turns pink. Add ginger garlic paste n mix it.
5. To the same, add chopped tomatoes, and tomato puree and fry till oil gets to the sides
6. Now mix in some water ( u can use the stock from pressure cooked choley).
7. Add turmeric powder and chole masala powder and adjust salt to taste.
8. Mix it well. At the end add the cooked choley to this and stir well.
9. When it comes to a boil, add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the stove.
Serve these yummy chole as a side dish to kulcha like I did or can serve it with puri or roti. Enjoy as your meal s ready.