I have my potluck with my friends here and I got to make aloo mutter gravy. Wanted to try it the restaurant style way itself. Adapted it from Padhu’s kitchen but suited to my needs.
Since I was making it for wider group – friends and family, excitement was at the maximum. So, started doing it with full fervor and was satisfied with the way it turned out to be. Got that satisfaction of “yes it s like restaurants as soon as I saw the masala color changing to golden with addition of cashew chili paste.”
Without further delay, let’s share the simple recipe with modifications of cashew chili combi which took the dish to separate level completely. Enjoy making and relishing it from the comforts of your kitchen.
Serves : 7-8
1 kg potatoes – boiled and peeled into small cubes
4 medium sized onions finely chopped
2 fresh tomato pureed in mixie
2 cups tomato puree ( shop brought)
3-4 green chilies
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
6-8 broken cashews
1/2 cup milk
1-2 cups frozen peas
Water as required
Spice mix according to taste ( turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala)
Salt as per your taste.
To temper –
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp cumin seeds
To garnish –
Preliminary requirements –
1. Soak the broken cashews and chopped green chilies in the cup of milk for minimum 15 minutes.
2. Boil and peel the potatoes, cut into small cubes and set aside.
3. Boil the frozen peas with a pinch of salt, once soft. Take off the gas and set aside.
Method to make restaurant style aloo mutter gravy –
1. Take a heavy bottom pan, add 1tbsp plus oil plus 2tbsp butter in stove.
2. Once butter melts n mixes with oil, add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
3. Add finely chopped onions and mix it properly. Cook it till onion turns golden brown. Ensure that onion s fully cooked.
4. Now add ginger garlic paste to this and stir it evenly such that it’s raw smell fades away.
5. Once all raw smell has gone, add both fresh tomato puree and canned tomatoes puree to this and mix well. Let it sit and boil for around 5 minutes till oil starts leaving the sides. Color changing of tomato puree s your indication of it being cooked nicely.
6. Once it’s cooked, add the spice powders – turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt according to taste. Mix it well.
7. To this, add the pureed chili cashew paste and stir till it gets mixed evenly.
8. Mix in the cubed n boiled potatoes along with cooked peas to this. Mix it well such that they get coated finally.
9. Here only, we are adding water ( no where before that )Now to this add water giving it a gravy consistency. Adjust salt and add 2-3 tablespoon garam masala powder.
10. Stir well till it gets mixed perfectly , and garnish with coriander leaves.
Ta – da your restaurant style aloo mutter gravy s ready to be served and enjoyed with roti, or jeera rice. Dig in and enjoy.