White Pastas – my son’s favorite!! I always try and make different varieties of the same dish. Recently, while shopping at the supermarket, I saw this Easy-to-Cook Broccoli and Cheese Pasta. And ta-da that gave me the idea to try it on my own and make a fresh version without any preservatives.
Before trying out anything new, it has become a habit to search online for some tips, ideas, recipes. After doing my research on Cheese and Broccoli pasta on bbcgoodfood.com and about.com, I decided to go with the stove-top version. I collected all required ingredients and made this yesterday. It came out really well.
It’s a nutritious meal so in case you want to add broccoli into your kid’s diet, try this. I am sure he/she will enjoy this, just like my son did. So, without wasting any time further, let’s get to the recipe.
I hope you will love making this as much as I did and let me know how it turned out for you.
Serves: 2 people
150 grams durum wheat pasta (penne, fussili or conchigelle)
2 cups broccoli florets
1 tea-spoon oil
1 tea-spoon salt
For the sauce –
2 teaspoons butter + 2 tablespoons oil
2 garlic cloves – peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons Maida / all-purpose flour
2 cups milk (you can use any milk – normal fat or semi-skimmed)
2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon white pepper powder
Salt to taste
Preparing the pasta –1. Heat water in a pan, add oil and salt, bring it to boil.
2. Add pasta to it.
3. Add broccoli pieces and let cook
[I prefer to cook Pasta till soft, you cook it till al-dente if that’s your preference].
4. Once it gets soft, take it off the stove and drain the water.
5. Toss it under cold water. And set aside.
Preparing the white sauce –
1. Heat a heavy bottomed pan, add butter and oil.
2. Add chopped garlic pieces and fry till they become soft
3. Add the Maida and stir till it becomes a frothy solution.
4. Once it becomes frothy without lumps, add milk and let it boil.
5. Once the milk starts boiling, add grated cheese.
6. Once milk gets thick, add pasta with broccoli pieces, sprinkle white pepper and salt to taste. Stir it evenly such that pasta pieces get coated with the sauce.
7. Once it’s done, take off the stove. Serve it on a plate.
Enjoy as your meal is ready!!