Do you plan before you cook? I am sure you do. But do we plan for a leftover rice? Nah! It happens and especially when we have guests over; where we feel it’s better to have more food than less. So, what you do with the leftover rice? Before knowing about this “kebab” idea, I just made curd rice or onion-garlic rice.
Last week, I was talking to my very good friend – Jagriti. We discussed interesting ways to reuse leftovers. She said that it’s a little boring to have leftover rice just like that and it’s better to give a revamp. I agreed with her on this. She introduced me to her recipe – Rice Kebab.
I liked the idea. So the next time I had leftover rice, I got to try my hands on my friend’s recipe – Rice Kebab.
I have followed her instructions completely with just a small addition. I added bread crumbs at the end to give it a crisp and crunchy coating.
Let’s get to the recipe and I hope you would love it just the way I did while making it.
Makes: 12 to 14 kebabs (or tikkis)
2 cups leftover rice
2 tablespoons besan (chick pea flour)
1 tablespoon rava (semolina / sooji)
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
1 teaspoon chaat masala
2 tablespoons roasted groundnuts – powder it in a mixer grinder and use it. (Helps in binding the mix)
Salt to taste
Oil to shallow fry.
1 bread slice – crumbled in mixer grinder into bread crumbs
1. Take a bowl, crush the leftover rice by hands.
2. Add besan, rava, and spice powders like red chilli powder, black pepper powder, chaat masala and salt to it. Mix it evenly.
3. Add roasted ground nut powder to this and bind it properly.
4. Divide the mix into small lemon size balls. Take a lemon sized ball in your hand, and flatten it lightly. Similarly make other kebabs or tikkis.
[This yields around 12 to 14 kebabs]
5. Take a plate with bread crumbs, roll over the flat shaped kebabs over bread crumbs.
6. Heat a pan with oil to shallow fry. Drop the flat kebabs into it and fry till both sides become golden brown in color.
7. Take out and drain in oil absorbing towel or tissue paper.
8. Keep it in the hot case, and serve it with tomato ketchup or chutney of your choice.
Your Rice Kebabs are ready for you to enjoy!!